Print

M. Senila, E. A. Levei, C. Roman, L. Senila, B. Abraham, E. Cordoş, Estimation of metals bioavailability in river waters by in situ speciation using the technique of diffusion gradients in thin films (DGT), Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai, Seria CHEMIA, 3 (2008) 65-70

 

Title: Estimation of metals bioavailability in river waters by in situ speciation using the technique of diffusion gradients in thin films (DGT)

Abstract: Trace metals such as Cu, Zn, Mn and Ni play an important role as essential elements in aquatic systems. Elevated concentrations of these elements and of non-essential elements such as Cd, however, may be toxic. Investigation of the speciation of trace metals is a prerequisite to evaluating their bioavailability and mobility. Biological responses of organisms often have been shown to be related to the free-ion activity of a metal ion or to the concentration of labile metal species in solution. We evaluated the application of DGT as a tool to determine Cu, Zn, Ni, Cd and Mn concentrations and speciation in Crisul Alb River. Total metals, dissolved metals and labile-DGT metals concentration were determined. The DGT-labile species of Cu and Zn amounted to 15–30% of the total dissolved concentrations, Cd and Ni to 40-50% and Mn to 70-80%.

Key words: DGT, metals bioavailability, speciation, ICP-MS

Tuesday the 19th. Copyright © INOE 2012
Implemented by networks